The Quarries in Sylvan Glen Park Preserve


Postcard of quarry


1895 "Golden Granite" discovered

1925-1941 Grenci & Ellis operated the quarry

1950s buildings still standing

1950s Mogul Park ran a day camp for residents

1952 gasline went through - expanded in 1956

1981 Town of Yorktown purchased as parkland - trails established by the Yorktown Land Trust

1989 Town acquired Goldschmidt property but not declared parkland until 2009

2010 Trails in new section of park built by Yorktown Community Trails Program of NYNJTC

2015 The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in NYC contacted the Parks Department to see if they could purchase more stone to finish the Cathedral. The answer was no because it is parkland and thus protected.

Reference Materials

Other historic features in the park

  • Lime Kiln and shell middens (on gasline west of Turtle Pond Trail (white) crossing)
  • Quarry Oak (approximately 300 year old white oak - 220 inch circumference, 104 feet height, 102 feet spread) Big Tree rating 349.5.
  • Riding ring which is the Ring Trail